A Not for Profit global community of Overlanders, sharing Overland Adventure news, stories & information.
Overland Sphere is a Not for Profit Community, which is part of the Overlanding Association.
Overlandsphere.com is the media outlet of the Overlanding Association; the Overland blogs, news and stories on this website have been contributed by the communities members.
Our Overland Facebook Group & Overland Travel Forum are also which are full of information for the overlander: Shipping, border crossings, trip preparation, overland reports from the road, paper work, regional overland forums, volunteering on the road and more.
The community is open to all overlanders, whether on 2 wheels or four, covering 4×4’s, Motorcycles, trucks and any other form of transport.
How does it work?
The site uses your blogs RSS feed to populate blog posts. An RSS feed can published in two ways, the entire feed including all text and pictures or just an excerpt from the feed.
*Note We currently only accept the entire feed, this is to ensure enough text is stored in our search engine and that the post is accompanied with at least one photo.
Our site posts your blog, categorises it by location, tags the post with additional other useful information like border crossings, sites of interest, towns, to make your manual navigation of the site and posts easier.
The post is then published on our website and through our social media accounts. All links whether on our site or posted through soical media link directly to the authors website.
When an authors website in unreachable due to being shut down, has server errors or is not being updated we switch the links so that they point back to the local post on our site. This is done to ensure we maintain an archive and the search functionality of the site.
All posts are indexed in a search engine which searches all the posts and will output relevant results, based on your search terms.
Overland Sphere provides an archive of overland blogs from around the globe for you to read and research at your pleasure. We have painstakingly categorised and tagged each post to make finding a specific blog much easier.
At Overland Sphere you will get the latest updates from overlanders on the road all on one website, whether is 4×4 Overland Travel Motorcycle Overland Travel or any other form Cycle, Truck and 2wd, no more trolling through several websites or forums looking for the latest update on your favourite adventure.
Our search engine outputs results based on relevancy, and only searches our database of overlander’s posts, which straight away gives you more refined and relevant results.
If you’re a blogger
You’ll be helping to build a new overlanding community, centred around a sphere of past and future overland trips for the benefit of all overlanders, whether your interest is 4×4, Motorcyle, Truck Overland Travel, or any other form Cycle, Truck and 2wd.
Our site will give you further reach and a larger audience by consolidating many posts on one site for people to research their big trip or just to catch up on the latest news. Our site will also distribute links to your posts through social media to drive more post views and enhance your profile.
What do I have to do?
All you have to do is allow us to use your RSS feed (click here to register), add a link to us on your site, and we will do the rest. Although you can help us by ensuring your post is fully categorised and tagged. If you use word press or blogger we can provide a category and tag file for you to import.
You could also temporarily increase the number of posts in your feed to so that we can sync older posts.
How will people know I have written the post?
- We have included the author’s details at the top of the post which also includes a link to the original post on the author’s website.
- Each posts have the authors Bio which provides a map of their travels and links to the website and other social media sites
- The site also contains an author’s listing on the homepage which details the number of posts provided by each author.
- All links through all mediums link to the original authors post
Will sharing my content on your site create duplicate content issues?
- Quite simply no we employ good SEO (search engine optimisation)
- By sharing your content with us your are more likely to Rank higher in search engines results
- Below are the steps we take
We promote good SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
We want your posts to to rank highly in search engines, we provide the following to Google and other search engines:
- We only provide links to your* content therefore all traffic from our website, Facebook, Google+ and Twitter posts will go to your site
- We provide a link to the original content at the top of each post, in every Facebook, Google+ and Twitter post
- We provide the rel=Canonical tag in the link so that search engine know that YOUR post is the original post
- Each of the links to your site are do-follow
- We tell search engines we are a publisher and not the author
- We can add the rel=author tags to you author profile on this site
- We publish your story to our Facebook Page and other social media sites (users who provide their FB page url will be linked in each post as shown below)
How does the above help my site
- We have a good Page rank and good SEO which in turn is passed down to you with every post published.
- Using tags where possible we tell search engines that your content is important and it is yours not ours
- Search engines use these tags to find & show the original content in search rather than the syndicated copy
- Being linked from sites with a good page rank, with do follow links, that employ good SEO and relevant tags is good for your site it:
- Contributes to a better Page rank
- Contributes to better search engine ranking
- Contributes to better Author ranking
- But be careful sites which do not have a good page rank or promote good SEO can hurt your ranking!
- Linking you FB page in posts will help drive traffic and awareness to your own FB page
*Whilst your site is live and operational the links shall continue to point to your website, as we start receiving errors that the website is unreachable we point the links back to our website to ensure our search functionality and archive our maintained for the benefit of others.
Overland Sphere makes the most of Google+ and Facebook, we have integrated our social media pages into Overland Sphere, so that users can interact with the site via any medium, and also receive the latest news through their news feed.
How is the site funded?
We are using our own overland budget to fund the site, which includes hosting fees and traffic costs, with most of the web developing being undertaken by ourselves.
We have personally invested a lot of time to get the site to where it is now, however as the site grows there will be need to upgrade servers, pay for additional bandwidth and to add new features. In this case, we would be looking to add a small amount of advertising to cover the costs.
The site is a not for profit organisation, it will always be free to use and;
Your data, your content & your photos are yours; we will never attempt to sell it or seek ownership of your data.
All material syndicated and posted on this site remains the property of the original author. Our posts always include the original author’s details, and a link to the original post to ensure they retain credit for their work.
In compiling the web site and feeds, where possible, we have obtained permission to republish the author’s feed. If you have not given us your permission and wish for your feed to be removed, please contact us here.
We need your help to expand our reach, you can link to http://overlandsphere.com with a text link or any of the logo’s below.
Code to insert into sidebars and widgets
“<a title=”Overland Sphere” href=”http://overlandsphere.com/”><img class=”aligncenter style=” src=” http://overlandsphere.com/wp-content/uploads/OSlogoclearsmall1.png” alt=”Overland Sphere Overland Travel Information” /></a>”
“<a title=”Overland Sphere” href=”http://overlandsphere.com/”><img class=”aligncenter style=” src=” http://cdn2.overlandsphere.com/wp-content/uploads/OSlogowhitesmall1.png” alt=”Overland Sphere Overland Travel Information” /></a>”