Shipping into Brazil?

Mr Rehab

New Overlander
Dec 1, 2015
Planning to ship our truck from Antwerp to Sth America (Montevideo) in April this year; probably RORO with Grimaldi but possibly going via container. First port in Sth America for Grimaldi is Vitoria, Brazil. I'd prefer to ship into Vitoria but have read that Brazilian ports can be a nightmare for costs/delays/corruption.

I'd like to hear from anybody who has shipped a vehicle into Brazil and what has been your experience?

Nice to hear from you Mr Long Drive. Replies slow in coming.....
Only response so far has been on another forum from an expat living in Brazil who strongly recommended not shipping into Brazil - seems Montevideo, Uruguay the best option re bureaucracy and costs, though BA another possibility.

Where in Africa do you want to ship out from? This couple shipped RORO out of Zarate (Buenos Aires) to Durban without dramas - I assume the shipping line runs the opposite route as well. Julie K Wood | Facebook
Might be worth a message to them for info - don't know if they are in this FB group.

Hi Mr Rehab
I'm looking at shipping from Durban ZA to either Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina during May 2017. Would like to hear your decision and your experience.
Thanks Elisha

Hi Elisha
Haven't been on this site for a while, sorry for the slow reply. I'm shipping from Antwerp to Montevideo in a sole use container. Shipping in to Uruguay seemed the best option from what info I could find from other travellers - least hassle and costs. Shipping to Zarate (Buenos Aires) also an option but maybe more costly and Montevideo is so close anyway. Arrival date into Montevideo about 8 June.

Container shipping.jpg

Last edited: