1. Welcome to the Overland Sphere forum.
    Please register to have full access to the Overland community. Once registered you will have access to reply to posts, upload images and create new threads.
    Don't forget to check out our facebook groups!!
    Overland Sphere FB Group - Overlanding South & Central America - Overlanding Africa - Overlanding Asia - Overlanding North America - Overlanding Europe - Overlanding Australia & NZ
    Dismiss Notice

Thailand Overland - Agents Guide & Permit

Discussion in 'Border Crossings' started by OverlandSphere, Mar 21, 2017.

  1. OverlandSphere

    OverlandSphere Administrator Staff Member

    Since 2017 all vehicles (registered outside SE Asia) are required to have both a guide.

    Official English Translation of Rules being implemented for all new applications to enter Thailand.

    1) No vans, camper cars, buses, trucks, vehicles over 3500kg or that have over 9 seats
    2) Required for applications: Copy of passport and Visa with no less than 6 months of validity, driving licence, vehicle registration certificate, inspection certificate (MOT), Letter of Consent (if the owner of the vehicle is not part of the trip).
    3) Pictures of vehicle in colour (Body type and license plate of the vehicle must be visible)
    4) Photocopy of third party liability insurance schedule. Minimum coverages are as follow; a. 1,000,000 THB of loss of life, bodily injury or damage to health, per person in an accident. b. 1,000,000 THB of property damage liability per accident.
    5) Itinerary
    6) Letter stating necessity of using foreign registered vehicle in Thailand, signed by traveller or signed and stamped by foreign travel agency cooperating with Thai Travel agency
    7) Note the DLT have previously communicated that only IDP issued under Convention on Road Traffic of 19 September 1949 will be accepted (not stated in the latest rules)

    *Non-English document must be accompanied by certified Thai or English translation by a competent authority.

    Required number of Guides and Guide Vehicles:

    • 1-5 vehicles: At least one tour guide/escort with one Thai-registered escorting vehicle.
    • 6-15 vehicles: At least 2 tour guides/escorts and 2 escorting vehicles
    • More than 15 vehicles: At least 3 tour guides/escorts and 3 escorting vehicles
    *Tour guides or escorts must be Thai nationals while at least one escorting vehicle must be Thai-registered

    Original post: Log into Facebook | Facebook

    Group: Log into Facebook | Facebook

    Currently there are three agents providing services for Thailand, unfortunately one of these has a very bad reputation and we would strongly caution who you use.

    We can however recommend Travel Activ as detailed below:


    Travel Activ - A UK based company and tour agency is the official partner of both the Overlanding Association and OverlandShpere

    Travel Activ provide competitive prices for Overland Tours, Guides and Permits through out Asia and the rest of the world.

    Contact them here: Travel Activ


Share This Page