We finally got started on the build of our truck.
The first thing to do was to gain a little clearance for our new tires. Â We chose a small 4Crawler 1â€³ body lift to do the trick. Â The other thing I like about a body lift is the increased clearance between the drive train and body.
Although the 4Crawler website looks like it was made in 1990 there are a ton of great parts available and a vast amount of Toyota tips and tricks that Roger (the owner) has learned over the years. Â The lift was under $100 and showed up on my doorstep (figuratively, as we live in a condo) a week later.
Body Lift Install:
I used Moovit Penetrating Lube the night before to spray all of the body mount bolts. Â I also hit the bumper and suspension bolts while I was at it since I knew all of those were coming apart sooner or later. Â I skimmed the instructions and laid out the parts. Â The big thing to remember is that the two front mounts are the smaller diameter blocks, but also have a smaller diameter bolt hole than the bed blocks. Â They also use shorter bolts than the other cab mounts. Â Just ask me how I figured this one outâ€¦ (apparently my skimming of the instructions should have been more thorough).
I jacked up the cab with a floor jack and 2x4s (to distribute the weight) and installed the body lift using the existing body mounts.
During this install I figured that I should clean up the chassis under the bed so I just removed the entire thing (hey, I was unbolting the whole thing anyway!). Â I removed the spare tire and mount and did a quick check for rust on the frame. Â Everything looked good so it got a fresh coat of satin-black before getting covered up again.
Once I dropped the bed back on I left all bolts hand tight only before lining up the bed and cab, then I tightened everything down.
The best part about the small lift was that there was almost no other modifications to the truck required to make this work. Â The steering shaft didnâ€™t need adjusting, the fan clears the shroud without issue, and I can redrill the front bumper mounts to match the original body lines. Â The only issue was that the shifter boots were binding and caused the tranny to pop out of 2nd and 4th gear. Â I redrilled (by 3/4â€³) and shifted the shifter boot bezel back to solve this.
With 265/75R16 tires we have plenty of clearance now without having to take a sawzall to the fenders.