China/Tibet crossing 2023

Neil

New Overlander
Oct 12, 2020
UK
Hello all. I am planning to ride my motorbike from London to Bangkok next year (Covid permitting). As part of this, I am going to ride from Kyrgystan to Laos via Xinjiang, Tibet and Yunnan. I have been in contact with half a dozen or so Chinese agencies to get prices for the China transit. So, I if there are any like minded souls out there who want to ride/drive this route around late August/September next year? The quotes I am getting based on 5 motorbikes and 1 car range from US$1500 to $2000+ each vehicle (not sure how a pillion would affect the price at this point) for a 28-30 day crossing. The more bikers, the cheaper it gets; but I think a group of 6 or 7 bikers and a car or two would be plenty big enough. Cheers.

Hi Cezary. The ride will be approx. 3000 to 3500 miles depending on the exact route chosen (eg. a diversion to Everest base camp; or going via Kunming or Lincang). It can be done more quickly, but I want to have time to appreciate the place rather than just blast through. Cheers.

Reactions: julciocezar
Hi Cezary. The ride will be approx. 3000 to 3500 miles depending on the exact route chosen (eg. a diversion to Everest base camp; or going via Kunming or Lincang). It can be done more quickly, but I want to have time to appreciate the place rather than just blast through. Cheers.

Hi.
Thanks for your prompt answer. I'm afraid that speed could be for me a bit of challenge how it is not impossible.( I used to drove within 20 houres from London to central Poland but these days I'm much slower)
Any way I'm not sure which direction I want go. Which one is possible at all. I'll keep in touch with you just in case I will go that direction in this time
All the best

Hi Cezary. No problem. Let me know how your plans progress.
Cheers.

Hi.
Thanks for your prompt answer. I'm afraid that speed could be for me a bit of challenge how it is not impossible.( I used to drove within 20 houres from London to central Poland but these days I'm much slower)
Any way I'm not sure which direction I want go. Which one is possible at all. I'll keep in touch with you just in case I will go that direction in this time
All the best
i think there is stille a train going from dusseldorf to austria and than from villan to the border in turkey so that will safe you a lot of time and energy riding through europe

Hello all. I am planning to ride my motorbike from London to Bangkok next year (Covid permitting). As part of this, I am going to ride from Kyrgystan to Laos via Xinjiang, Tibet and Yunnan. I have been in contact with half a dozen or so Chinese agencies to get prices for the China transit. So, I if there are any like minded souls out there who want to ride/drive this route around late August/September next year? The quotes I am getting based on 5 motorbikes and 1 car range from US$1500 to $2000+ each vehicle (not sure how a pillion would affect the price at this point) for a 28-30 day crossing. The more bikers, the cheaper it gets; but I think a group of 6 or 7 bikers and a car or two would be plenty big enough. Cheers.
what is your exact route because i am planning to drive to iran with my motorbike and maybe turkmenistan and oezbekistan

Hello all. OK, it's been a while, but this trip is now happening in 2023. We enter China from Kyrgyzstan on August 31st and ride/drive for 29 days (+1 day contingency) through Xinjiang, Tibet and Yunnan provinces to the Lao border at Boten. The cost (after much negotiation) is $3,500 per vehicle (inclusive of accommodation). Anybody here up for it?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello again. There are only a couple of spots left for this trip now; anyone fancy it?
Cheers

OK. The end of this month is really the deadline for those interested as we enter China on August 31st and the agency wants 2 months to secure all the paperwork from the Chinese authorities. So, tick tock........
Cheers.

Hello, I am LE, a self-driving enthusiast from China, I am in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China, and you are very welcome to come and drive in China.I don't know which port of entry you are coming from in Kyrgyzstan, but this price of US$3500 for 30 days accommodation including vehicle entry is very, very cheap, not to mention that you have to apply for a special permit to go to Tibet, I think it is still a bit of a problem, the average small If you encounter any trouble you can contact me, I will give you the best advice, this season is also the peak of our domestic travel, Tibet, Xinjiang and Yunnan will be a lot of many, motorbikes in China is not allowed on the highway, so you can only drive on the national highway, you can drive along the 219 national highway, but from Xinjiang to Tibet 219 this section of the road The motorbike must bring a fuel barrel, but it is very troublesome to refuel with a barrel in Xinjiang and Tibet, Tibetan cars are not allowed to bring fuel barrels, there will be checkpoints to check, and the average altitude of this section of the road is more than 5000, the body will have plateau reaction, may not adapt to it, so be very careful, so I do not know how your route is going, please leave a message if you have any questions
Good luck
Your friend le

Reactions: Neil
Hello, I am LE, a self-driving enthusiast from China, I am in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, China, and you are very welcome to come and drive in China.I don't know which port of entry you are coming from in Kyrgyzstan, but this price of US$3500 for 30 days accommodation including vehicle entry is very, very cheap, not to mention that you have to apply for a special permit to go to Tibet, I think it is still a bit of a problem, the average small If you encounter any trouble you can contact me, I will give you the best advice, this season is also the peak of our domestic travel, Tibet, Xinjiang and Yunnan will be a lot of many, motorbikes in China is not allowed on the highway, so you can only drive on the national highway, you can drive along the 219 national highway, but from Xinjiang to Tibet 219 this section of the road The motorbike must bring a fuel barrel, but it is very troublesome to refuel with a barrel in Xinjiang and Tibet, Tibetan cars are not allowed to bring fuel barrels, there will be checkpoints to check, and the average altitude of this section of the road is more than 5000, the body will have plateau reaction, may not adapt to it, so be very careful, so I do not know how your route is going, please leave a message if you have any questions
Good luck
Your friend le

谢谢你。