Family of 2 West Coast Africa

Mzungu Diaries

New Overlander
Dec 4, 2022
Hi we will take the ferry 1st week of February 2023 from Spain to Morocco & then take west coast route to Namibia. In a Defender with a Honda 250 strapped to the back, if anyone thinking of same route love to hear from you or others recently completed the route suggestions fantastic. We completed in 2021/2022 Istanbul via Magadan to Salzburg & looking forward to another long haul. Please get in touch thanks

Hello Mzungu. I'm thinking of the doing the same but on a motorcycle. The dry season is from Nov to March so Early Feb is about the latest to leave. How much planning have you done, particularly regarding visas? I went down as far as Senegal in October 2022. Would be good to catch up and share info.

Here I did collect all travellers with a website/blog/vlog on the west route of africa:

It is probably helpful, because you can read how they did it, can contact them. There are travel groups on FB around, with useful content too.
I do not add private people and informations out of private groups (who are available).

Because of the Visas, let me quote a posting from me at Hubb about

Usually there is no agency required, you have to get a plan when you plan to visit which country, then you can start to query the embassy`s about how you can optain the visas. Then you can very that informations with other travellers on route - to get an idea.

Depending on your travel speed and visa running time you can optain some visa in front of the trip, others on route (on arrival), and somethimes you had to send your passport home. If you are unlucky you even have to fly home for the visa. Probably you even had to pass an interview for a country like we had to.

It sounds for more work as it really is. Do a approximate time plan for the trip, choose the countrys you like to visit, timeframes per country , check with the embassy (in your homecountry), talk to recent travellers. You can do that in 8 working hours.

Now you can adjust your plans. Check where you had to optain the visa`s in your homecountry, check how long the visas are valid - probably it makes sence to optain them before you start your journeys - and to be there before the visa`s become invalid.

There are some countrys you had to cross, others you can cross - there is no one who "know" the current sitiation for any possible country on the west.

Enjoy the planning stage - it is a part of the trip!

trippin

Hi Mzungu!

We are doing the same route at the moment and are currently in Daklha, Morocco. Enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Katinka & Alain