How do you handle expired vehicle registration?


New Overlander
Dec 13, 2014
I suppose that it would be easy enough if one's vehicle were registered in their country of citizenship and if mail-in registration were an option - but that's probably not the case universally - I believe that some U.S. states require an inspection and/or emissions testing for renewal of registration, or in other words, a physical presence of the vehicle is required to renew plates/registration.

I live in Panamá, I have no residency or citizenship here. My DL and my passport are from the U.S. and the vehicle is registered in Panamá. Panamá has a requirement for an annual inspection before renewing registration.

Have you been in this situation - expired plates/registration in a foreign country? How did you handle it?