Leave my VAN for 4-8 months in non CDP country around India

Huub van der Mark

New Overlander
Mar 3, 2019
Hey Guys,

I'm in Iran on my way to India. I would like to leave my car somewhere for an unknown amount of time. Iran, India, Pakistan are Carnet de Passage countries and thus are difficult to leave the car longer than 6 months. Maybe I will be back at my car within 6 months and maybe not, so I don't want to take this risk.

First I thought Sri Lanka, but that apparently is also a CDP country. Now I saw that Bangladesh is not a CDP country. I could leave my van there and when I return possibly ship my car from there somewhere else. But, a few years ago when you wanted to take your private car into Bangladesh, the deposit was crazy.

Do you guys have any idea how to best do this?

I'm thinking of relocating my van to South America when I come back. Technically I could ship my van to South America and store it in Uruguay for 1 year with no problem. But I just don't have the time right now to do the shipping and go myself to Uruguay to pick it up and drive it to a storage. It also would become more expensive I imagine because I have to book extra flights to Uruguay and back.

If all is a problem, I could even drive it back to Turkey or somewhere close there, but even in Turkey it's not possible to keep your van for a longer time.

Ideas are very welcome!

Huub