Looking for a family overland vehicle

fcms

New Overlander
Oct 11, 2020
Hi,

I hope this is the right location to post this, if not, let me know or move it!

We are a soon to be family of four and plan to spend ~9 month in South America overlanding. We are trying to figure out what the ideal vehicle would be. We were looking a Sprinter Van type vehicles, pick ups with a cabin and possibly some slightly bigger truck type vehicle. What we are looking for is:
  • 4x4 capability to go off road but nothing super serious going throught the most difficult tracks etc.
  • sit and sleep 4 (2 adults one being 200cm in height and 2 small(ish) children aged 1 and 3)
  • working at low (sub zero) temperatures (not Russia in winter but Andes or Norway in spring)
  • ability to cook and sit indoors when it is raining
  • not super expensive (i.e. 100.000 USD high end vehicles) but we won't mind spending 5k more if its worth it
  • toilet in some shape or form would be nice

We did a trip when we had no children with a Toyota Landcruiser and a roof top tent (which got stolen in Kazakhstan but well) and liked it a lot but would prefer something slightly more "comfortable" and roomy with the kids.

Thanks to all of you for advice!

Reactions: kmassey22
Hey. A family car should be comfortable and roomy. I recently bought a banana bike and needed to buy a mount to carry my bike with me. We love to do family gatherings, so we bought a big car.

We did a trip when we had no children with a Toyota Landcruiser and a roof top tent (which got stolen in Kazakhstan but well) and liked it a lot but would prefer something slightly more "comfortable" and roomy with the kids.
Hello, could you give a few more parameters, including whether you just need the vehicle for this one trip or whether you plan to use it afterwards? Also, in considering the Sprinters, diesel Sprinters built after model year 2006 will need the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, which is generally not available south of the US-Mexico border.

We’ve been considering the US Van Do It and the Canadian Safari Condo, Panoramic, and Gala. But we may just stick to our existing Subaru Outback.

About that rooftop tent theft - what advice would you give us to be able to avoid this happening to us?