On two wheels from USA to Argentina - A Swede conquering one country at a time

GustafN

New Overlander
Aug 14, 2020
www.gustafn.com
Hello!
First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Gustaf N, born and raised in Sweden. Always loved travel and meeting people.
In 2018 i bought a brand new Suzuki V-Strom 650xt in SF Bay Area, California, USA. The original thought was to use it as a daily driver while in the area (there a lot on business). My dreams got the better of me, and as easily said i did it. Equipped the bike for adventure travel. You know the deal, upgraded suspension (I'm a big boy at 206cm/6'8" and 145kg/310lbs with gear), panniers crash-bars etc...

I've traveled a lot before, but either backpacking or with my 4x4. This would be the first time i travel on two wheels.

[Camping in Big Sur, California]
photo_2020-06-05_15-15-30.jpg

My somewhat odd overland 4x4 choice according to some but it's cheap as dirt, reliable and a beast offroad but small enough to navigate tight european inner city streets.
It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee -99 V8 WG (European made and euro-spec version of the north American WJ)
[Somewhere near the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina in Montenegro]
photo_2020-02-11_11-24-48.jpg

On December 1 2018 i left the San Francisco Bay Area and set of south towards Mexico.

Episode 0

Note that as of the time when I'm writing this (2020-08-14) the trip is on hold with the bike parked in Costa Rica.

Episode 1
Baja California, Mexico - Camping on the beach and what camping gear I bring

After the last episode when i arrived in Baja California, Mexico i have traveled down through Baja, all the way to the southern tip. In this episode i spend a lot of the time camping in Baja California and enjoying the bike offroad on parts of the Baja 1000 route. Going from Ensenada to Puertecitos camping for one night on the beach, continuing on via Coco's Corner and following parts of the Baja 1000 to Bahia De Los Angeles camping for an additional 4 nights on the beach. Being tired of camping i continue to Loreto, staying for a few days before i do a impulse trip to Cabo san Lucas. After almost a week of relaxing ond resting up in Cabo the trip continues to the final destination in Baja; La Paz! In La Paz i discovered that i had some visa problem and had to fly back to Tijuana to get it fixed. I ended up flying back and forth within two days. In total ended up spending almost 2 weeks in La Paz. Staying positive, i had time to service my bike and i stayed at Casa Esterito, an absolutely amazing hostel! The boat from La Paz to Mazatlan was an adventure! See you in the next episode, touring Mainland Mexico!

photo_2020-02-11_11-39-33.jpg

photo_2020-02-11_11-39-36.jpg

photo_2020-02-11_11-39-38.jpg

photo_2020-02-11_11-39-41.jpg

photo_2020-02-11_11-39-43.jpg