Overland from Asia, relocating to Europe & importing vehicle..

LoneWolfTransglobal

New Overlander
May 8, 2020
In 2007 I drove a Land Rover WolfXD around the world, using a Carnet De Passages issued by the RAC for a UK registered vehicle. Since then i have moved to Thailand, had a family etc. We are now planning to return to UK, and want to use this opportunity to travel overland, through Myanmar, India, Central Asia & Europe. Thailand is a member of the ATA carnet countries, although I have not yet started to communicate with the customs offices on what is possible through them. My plan would be to import the vehicle to the UK when I arrive (Prepped Ford Ranger 2017 3.2Tdci D/Cab, owned for over 1 year). I am trying to get my head around whether this will work. I assume I would have to export the vehicle when we leave the country, leading to registration issues. If I require a Carnet, for the chosen route, it would require the vehicle to be returned to Thailand, which is not the plan. I could look at a route not requiring a carnet. Or I could look at getting the carnet issued by another country? Any thoughts or advice welcome.

As an update, we have now heard back from ATA Carnet office in Thailand. At this time, they do not issue a carnet for overland travel purposes. I am zeroing in on the idea that a carnet issued in UK or Europe would be the way. The idea might be to leave the country on the standard Thai Car Passport, then to travel to UK and then inform Thai authorities that the vehicle will not return. Would need to check what documents are required on importing the vehicle to the UK as a personal vehicle for a returning citizen.

Try speaking to the Malaysian automobile Association, they may be your best option locally, or TCS in Switzerland.

In regards to importing the vehicle to the UK, if it is part of your relocation then you can bring in tax and duty-free, you will have to apply online for transfer residence, they will provide you with a letter and TOR number, which you can use when you arrive in the UK.

In regards to registration, I would strongly advise keeping it registered in Thailand until it can be registered in the UK, otherwise the vehicle will be technically unregistered and that could cause you additional problems.