Roof tent v sleeping inside truck

Markespark

New Overlander
Apr 30, 2019
Hi all, after some of your valued opinions
On the back of a 5 week roof tent trip across Australia last year we are planning a long 9-12 month trip from Malaysia via Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc through China & the the stan’s onward into Europe
My question is is this realistic in a maggiolina roof tent or should I make a bed inside the truck.its a Defender 90 so room would be tight for one ! Impossible if the mrs still wants to come but I’ll cross that bridge .....
Anyone done a long time in a roof tent ?
Cheers Mark

Hi all, after some of your valued opinions
On the back of a 5 week roof tent trip across Australia last year we are planning a long 9-12 month trip from Malaysia via Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia etc through China & the the stan’s onward into Europe
My question is is this realistic in a maggiolina roof tent or should I make a bed inside the truck.its a Defender 90 so room would be tight for one ! Impossible if the mrs still wants to come but I’ll cross that bridge .....
Anyone done a long time in a roof tent ?
Cheers Mark
Hello we have just completed 2 years round Africa with a Howling moon roof tent , great bit of equipment , no problems there ,but we estimate probably in the two years we would have slept inside our vehicle approximately 40 times ,mainly due to the cold weather in various countries,i would imagine a 90 is a bit short but would be good if you could,not use the maggiolina

Hola from Ecuador, about 20% of the overlanders I've met during my travels used roof tents. The comments that kept repeating themselves were the following; in windy Patagonia, the rooftops get damaged no matter how good they are (the winds are that strong and gusty 24 hrs/day), once you go up, you are committed, guys can hang it out at 2 o'clock in the morning, girls, not so much.

Reactions: Carlo_Italy