fredericorr40

New Overlander
Oct 19, 2020
Hello! We're Freddie and Cara, two friends planning an overland trip from Cario to Cape from mid-September 2021 until early Feb 2022

We'll be driving our own Toyota 4x4 with a roof tent, and whilst we're happy to go solo in southern Africa we would prefer to gather a group of 3/4 cars to go through some of the eastern and northern countries (Sudan - Ethiopia - Kenya)

We're currently planning to be passing through Sudan in early October, but we're still deep in the planning phase so no fixed dates yet

If you're interested in joining or think you will be travelling through the area at the same time drop me a message

Hi!

We are planning to go the same route on roughly same dates. We are also looking for someone to join us (or we join them, ha).

Our plan was to ship our car to Egypt in November, stay in Cairo for a couple of weeks to hang around, get our Sudanese and Ethiopian visas, relax and take a deep breath before we go for adventure.

We were going to buy a 2WD car, the size of a minivan, therefore we won't be able to join when you go offroad. We've already done a similar trip driving from Germany to Ghana via Morocco, Mauritania, Mali and Cote-d'Ivoire, with Seat Alhambra (2WD minivan) in 11/2019-02/2020.

Hey!

We're actually heading south to north

We are super keen to drive around Ethiopia as it looks amazing but very concerned about the current situation. What is your back-up route if you can't go through Sudan/ Ethiopia?

F

We are super keen to drive around Ethiopia

We could definitely do that, yeah! Let's keep in touch here :)

We were planning to go for our trip only if Ethiopians allow us to enter the country, then we'd just avoid driving to Tigray region unless it all calms down and it is safe to go there. Other than that, from what I read, people had mostly positive experience in Sudan and Ethiopia.

If we can't enter Sudan or Ethiopia, then we'll just sell our car and fly back home, that is our backup plan :D I've been also thinking about going from Sudan to South Sudan and then to Uganda, but everyone is against travelling to South Sudan even though it seems that it's calm there. What do you think? I'm still researching a possibility of travelling to South Sudan.

Do you have a Facebook account where we can stay in touch? I'm not very good at checking this site

I also looked into travelling through South Sudan but that idea didn't last very long - you would be one of the few to brave it and I dont think you'd enjoy the experience. If you check IOverlanders you'll find that basically nobody drives through the country anyway, you'd be safer to go via Ethiopia for sure.

Also from the people I've spoken with Ethiopia can be difficult at the best of times, so travelling right now does raise its concerns. Despite this, our ideal plan would also be to avoid Tigray by heading straight from Gondar to Sudan - but this road is known for being hostile even in good times

If you're heading through the same route in the opposite direction a few months earlier I would be really keen to hear how it comes

Hello! We're Freddie and Cara, two friends planning an overland trip from Cario to Cape from mid-September 2021 until early Feb 2022

We'll be driving our own Toyota 4x4 with a roof tent, and whilst we're happy to go solo in southern Africa we would prefer to gather a group of 3/4 cars to go through some of the eastern and northern countries (Sudan - Ethiopia - Kenya)

We're currently planning to be passing through Sudan in early October, but we're still deep in the planning phase so no fixed dates yet

If you're interested in joining or think you will be travelling through the area at the same time drop me a message

Hi Freddie & Cara - are you fixed on your dates? I plan a south-north-Transafrica-trip with a Prado, starting in 06/2022 in Jo'burg, and will pass via Ethiopia, Kenya and Sudan, too. Might be accompanied by a friend in a Defender, but could be a great idea to team up.

Hey! Our dates are pretty fixed right now we're going to be leaving Cape Town heading north in October 2021. Sadly I dont think our dates will align but I'm more than happy to share our experience/ any tips with you after our trip

Hi there.
I’m on a motorcycle, expecting to be in Kenya in mid-end of Feb. I’m looking to head north through Ethiopia (if i can), on the way to Sudan.

If not, i’ll need to figure out a plan B. Will be following this discussion with interest.

Hi Adam, thanks for reaching out - do you mind if I dropped you a message in ~April and hear what your experience of Ethiopia was like?

Hi there.
I’m on a motorcycle, expecting to be in Kenya in mid-end of Feb. I’m looking to head north through Ethiopia (if i can), on the way to Sudan.

If not, i’ll need to figure out a plan B. Will be following this discussion with interest.

Hi Adam,
I am also planning to motorcycle across the continent. Current plan is from cape to cairo. Would love to connect and hear about your plan as I am planning mine

Hi Adam,
I am also planning to motorcycle across the continent. Current plan is from cape to cairo. Would love to connect and hear about your plan as I am planning mine

Hi, I am planning a similar trip, so I would be also interested to connect. Initial plan is to drive from Cairo to Cape but it seems difficult to find a ship froom Europe to Egypt. Currently thinking about other solutions : import to Kenya and start in Mombasa or drive South to North

What does everyone think about the situation in Ethiopia? Is anyone worried about safety/ relying on the Sudan border?

I'm planning Alexandria September 2021, but then spending minimum 3 months exploring Egypt (maybe longer) in my expedition camper. So if it goes ahead we will be in the same country, but I doubt if our pace will appeal to you, but a meet up would be most welcome.

Incidentally, hope to ship from Southampton.

Reactions: fredericorr40
Sounds good Mark! We are still deciding if we can start in the north or south (depends on Ethiopia's borders), if we start north I'll let you know

Hello
I am currently based in France where I arrived with my Land Rover Defender 110 "Puma" a few months ago.
I am coming originally from South Africa and intend to return there sometimes this year either via the (difficult) West Coast route (from Spain : Morocco, Mauritania,,,) or from the relatively easier East Coast by shipping my Landy from Marseilles in France to Port Sudan as Egypt remains an administrative headache. Another possibility would be to "turn around"the Mediterranean via Turkey, Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and ship from Jeddah to Sudan...
Anyhow, once in Sudan it will be the usual way via Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania and so on... back to SA.
Please note that I am open to any other ([possible!) routes to South Africa.
The trip will be leisurely as I shall be under no time constraints as well as for the departure date.
I arrived alone in Europe and at this stage I am also alone for the trip back, although open to share my vehicle with another (compatible!!) traveller all the way to SA (NOT for only a part of the trip)
I am especially looking for a couple (male, female, mixed... does not matter) to travel in their own 4x4 as for such a trip security improves with two vehicles. Any brand (ever a Toyota for the Landy guy I am !!!) as long as the vehicle is in an acceptable state for this harsh and long duration journey.
Age as well as nationality in unimportant... as long as we can communicate ! I am speaking English, French and Dutch fluently. Afrikaans is of course a welcome party too !
Please contact me if you are in the planning stage of an identical journey once the pandemic has allowed some currently closed African borders to re-open.
All the Best to all of you !
Mark