Where to get my vehicle registered

PHC

New Overlander
Nov 17, 2019
Hi ... completely new to this website and to overland travel. I am a UK/Canada citizen living in the UK. I have bought a new (modified) Land Cruiser in Germany and I need to decide whether to register it in Germany, using the address of my vendor, or whether I get it registered (and imported) in the UK. I don't necessarily have to bring it into a UK before starting year long travel eastward into Asia ... but it would help. My vendor says it is easy and cheaper to register it in Germany. Two questions: 1) is it a complete hassle trying to import it and register it in the UK? and 2) would having a German-registered car (while I am UK resident/national) cause any complications crossing borders, or any other unforeseen reasons why it's a bad idea? Thanks

In 2012 we had to register a vehicle in Germany before we exported to the UK . ( we are UK Citizens.)

At that time ( and it might have changed ) but we were unable to register it in our name as you not only had have a German Address but also had to be a German resident. As said this might have changed . We were lucky that we had a good friend who did this for us and it was only a very temporary situation before we exported it to the UK.

A few things come to mind that you may wish to consider.

Firstly having it permanently registered in the vendors name could cause issues regarding proof of ownership and responsibility for the vehicle.

Secondly the Journey you speak of will undoubtedly need a Carnet de Passage issued. How easy would it be to get one issued in another country , that covers you when you are not shown as the owner.

Lastly, Crossing borders with vehicle documents that are not in your name has the potential of causing extra complications , even if its all legal and you have all the relevant Poders and letters of authority, it has the potential to cause grief.

Good luck

Neil