Which is the best Overland 4x4?

Which is the best Overland 4x4?


  • Total voters
    59

OverlandSphere

Admin
Staff member
Moderator
May 26, 2013
217
14
18
www.overlandsphere.com
In your opinion which is the best Overland 4x4 taking into consideration the following:
  • Reliability
  • Value for money
  • Specs
Please feel free to explain the reasons for your choice.....
 

OverlandSphere

Admin
Staff member
Moderator
May 26, 2013
217
14
18
www.overlandsphere.com
It may not best the off roader, but looks the part, and should not have any problems with most of normal overland routes.

Good luck with your Trip, when and where do plan to go ?
 

jensmh

New Overlander
Jul 1, 2013
1
0
1
Jülich
Love my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited...beeing converted to an overland Travel vehicle step by step
 

OutdoorX4

New Overlander
Aug 7, 2013
3
0
1
Texas
The 75 Series and Wrangler JKU (aka 4-door Wrangler) are excellent options. The FJ, as well as Taco, are also good choices. Some of this depends on the amount of space you'll need (unless you have full use of a roof rack and/or trailer to pull extra gear) as those with families obviously need the extra seating capacity, as well as how "comfortable" you want to be while in the backcountry.

We'll be doing a build on a "budget overlander" in a series of issues of OutdoorX4 once we launch and the vehicle we chose for that build is actually a Jeep Cherokee.
 

Gary

New Overlander
Apr 14, 2014
1
0
1
I love my 300 tdi discovery had her 7 years never let me down! Easy and simple to work on would recommend to anyone!
The key is keep it simple. IMO
 

Zevro

New Overlander
May 7, 2014
1
0
1
For us we went with a 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5 speed manual with a 12 valve Cummins Diesel and no computers. Zevro I was a 1985 FJ60 and was a great rig but the comfort level was poor and so we searched for a good six months before we found Zevro II. It`s a quad cab with a short box and steel camper shell. There is still much to do even at being 75% completed. The other 25% is outfitting it with gear and building up the camper shell interior. Oh yeah the reason why a Dodge. For one the Cummins 12 valve is perhaps one of the easiest diesel engines to work on. It is not unheard of to get a million miles on one providing you do your part in taking care of it. The truck itself is as tuff as anything else out there. Anyway here is something different.
 

IOANNIS GIANNOPOULOS

New Overlander
May 27, 2014
12
3
3
MYKONOS
www.overlanddiaries.com
Overlanding for me is defined as a vehicle-relaying journey that the primary goal is the journey and not the destination it self . Owning a Land Cruiser Prado 120 I found out that the above can be done without the physically exhaustion that other hard core 4X4 sacrifice in order to deliver the extreme off road capabilities that might or might IMG_3448.jpg not have and you might or might not ever use.Reliable and a great value for its money the Land Cruiser Prado 120 is for me the perfect balances between the off road capabilities of all older Land Cruisers and other Brand 4x4 but with the difference that at the end of the ride you still feel like you just drove on asphalt road from your house to the near by park. Wish to all Overlanders out there a great safe trip.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pixie_duster

CARiD

New Overlander
Jun 21, 2016
4
0
1
I gave my vote to Land Cruiser, as it's the best combination or Reliability, Value for money and Specs, however I think 4x4 vans like Ford E-series are even more convenient overland vehicles.
 

Mr Rehab

New Overlander
Dec 1, 2015
11
0
1
Likewise my vote went to Landcruiser, the 'Troopcarrier' variant the best choice for a smallish self contained package; but any of the heavier duty Japanese 4wds would be fine. In terms of value for money, the Landcruiser is so overpriced in Australia there is much better value in buying a 4wd light truck eg Isuzu or Fuso Canter. The truck has a similar footprint and turning circle meaning you can access anywhere a large 4wd can go, carries twice as much 6000kg vs 3500kg, built tough and mostly simple (engine electronics a possible issue) and costs the same as the LC. For example:
 

Tembo

New Overlander
Jun 9, 2018
1
0
1
I grew up with Jeeps in Canada, ran Land Rovers and Landcruisers in Africa for ten years and definitely came down on the side of Land Rovers. They are just far more adaptable than anything else. while I respect Toyotas I would never own another one...
 

Jenny Vreeken

New Overlander
May 19, 2020
3
0
1
We are still investigating, but it looks like a petrol LandCruiser is the best choice outside North America.